IP Cam Viewer     My Amazon IP Cameras    

SSL Handshake Error

Support for my free Android Applications.

SSL Handshake Error

Postby bithead » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm

I have 3 Foscam FI9821 V2 cams and 2 Amcrest IPM2-841s. I am running IP Cam Viewer Basic on one device and IP Cam Viewer Lite on another. Both devices are running Android 7.0 with the 12/1/17 patches. I used to be able to access all 5 cams via SSL over the internet with appropriate port forwards in my firewall. I don't access them remotely on a regular basis, so I can't say exactly when things broke, but as of some time fairly recently, I can no longer access the Foscam cams. Access to the Amcrest cams still works.

When editing the Foscams and I press the Test button, a message comes up stating:
SSL Handshake Error (not supported). For Android 5.1+, check SSL/TLS options in App Settings.

First, I don't understand why if SSL Handshakes are not supported, why things still work with Amcrest cams - the Amcrest and Foscam cams are configured identically and I haven't changed their configs at all since all of them worked.

Second, as for the SSL/TLS app settings, I have tried Old+New Ciphers/Protocols, Old Ciphers/Protocols, and New Ciphers/Protocols, and they all give the same results - Amcrest cameras work, Foscam cameras do not. Perhaps the error message itself is erroneous?

Finally, all cameras work when the Android devices are connected to my local wi-fi network.

I'm hoping for some insights as to why the Foscam cams have stopped working via the internet. Thanks!

~bh
bithead

Re: SSL Handshake Error

Postby admin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 pm

some cameras use old ssl and newer iOS/Android devices disabled some older ciphers/ssl etc...

best to just make all camera ports visible through stunnel.
that way, no cameras are accessible directly from outside, only through ssl via stunnel.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Support