IP Cam Viewer     My Amazon IP Cameras    

How I use my free home security/monitoring apps.

Information about my free Android Applications available in the Android Market for cell phones and embedded devices.

How I use my free home security/monitoring apps.

Postby N4Spd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:52 pm

I have other free apps on the Market but here, I'm going to describe how I used my home monitoring/security apps on my G1.

First, the "DSC Alarm Monitor" allows me to turn on/off the home alarm remotely. I can also check on the status of all 8 zones remotely. To make it easy to use, the app is configured only once. Launching the app instances connects to my house so I can make a quick check or change.

dsc.png
dsc.png (24.82 KiB) Viewed 30587 times

If the alarm is triggered, the alarm system calls my cell phone where I can check on the sensors and then look at my cameras.

I have 6 cameras surrounding the house which I can view remotely with my G1. Again, to make it quick and easy to use, I configure the cameras once only. When launched, the cameras show up in a gallery style display so I can thumb throw them.

Finger gestures (flings) trigger pan/tilt and pressing keys activate presets (although response is slow most of the time due to network). I use panasonic cameras (because my dlinks died) but the app supports Sony, Axis, Panasonic, Linksys, Airlink, Trendnet, Vivotek and more.

ipcam.png
ipcam.png (136.03 KiB) Viewed 30667 times

Finally, I have the Pachube Viewer app which most people can't figure out. Here's some background to hopefully clarify it's purpose. I have an Arduino with an ethernet port and custom sensors (think of it has a micro-computer with lots of sensors and a mini web server). It runs 24/7 collecting sensor data which is polled by a logging server. All this in 12k bytes of code!

The Pachube Viewer allows me to view the current sensor readings as well as a 24 hour history graph on my G1 again without having to log in or use a clunky browser. I wrote the app so that it can display any data feed so I released it on the Market.

The running theme is that I want NATIVE apps that make my tasks easy/fast. You can all of the above using a browser but who wants to hit urls, login, navigate on a little screen, etc... I need it now. I need to make a quick change. I need to go... I think more apps will show up on the Market that helps users to more remotely and do it faster.

Since all the apps launch without a password prompt, I protect the phone with the built-in pattern password system. I hope you find these apps useful as well.

Rob
N4Spd

Re: How I use my free home security/monitoring apps.

Postby sandyrochard » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 am

Hi,
Thanks for showing the home security apps.Well i heard about a lot and never show these type demo.I very much keen apps and i definietly one take for my home.IF you have more information regarding that please forward me.
sandyrochard

Postby erwin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:00 am

This is great.
erwin

Postby ellisz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi, I love your app! I am looking for some more cameras to add to my setup and wondered if you could recommend some inexpensive units that would work on your android app? I am currently using 2 D-Link 920 and a Trendnet IP400 PTZ. These are pretty good but I would like to add something that could go outside as well some more inside. The PTZ I have is nice but the picture quality is not as nice and it is bulkier than the Dlinks.

Just some general recommendations if you have any...

Thanks
ellisz

Postby N4Spd » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:50 pm

If you don't mind toy plastic cheap, then ebay sells a wifi ptz with audio camera for around $60.
It lacks optical zoom and presets but can't complain for the price.
My app support audio playback on that camera.

thanks,
rob
N4Spd

Postby mdoan101 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:49 am

Hi!
May you tell me which are availlabed interface card added to DSC alarm systems for communicate with your cell phone? :?: :?:
Thanks,
mdoan101

Postby N4Spd » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:09 pm

DSC sells the TL-150 module. It's around $89. No monthly fees. The app just connects directly to the alarm. Also, don't forget to program your alarm to call your phone when it triggers. Rob

mdoan101 wrote:Hi!
May you tell me which are availlabed interface card added to DSC alarm systems for communicate with your cell phone? :?: :?:
Thanks,
N4Spd

Postby cbhattarai » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks for this one, but when you have an IP Camera then you really need to have a proper IP assigned to it. People mostly change their ip to dynamic, and because of which you are not able to access your IP Camera through IP.

There are many other fact that you need to have in your mind.

Thank you
cbhattarai

Return to Discussions