IP Cam Viewer     My Amazon IP Cameras    

New User Check-in

User discussions, tips, questions and answers, etc. for the Walkie Talkie Application for Android cell phones and embedded devices available in the Android Market

New User Check-in

Postby G1Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:58 pm

I just purchased the Walkie Talkie for my wife and I and it works good. I like the fact that it works even when we have no cell phone bars. If we can get wifi, then we can talk. At our home, we have no cell signal, but I have wifi from my router. Now when one of us is out we can still "call" home for simple messages like "I'm on my way" or "I'll pick up the milk" or whatever. I found a sound sample of a doorbell and use that with as the "ringtone". I set the preferences like this: vibrate off, repeat notifications, and my doorbell ringtone. It is also a good way to find a lost phone in the house, because the doorbell keeps ringing until I check the walkie talkie message.
G1Bob

Re: New User Check-in

Postby G1Bob » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:21 pm

I forgot to mention that you will need an application that keeps your phone's wifi active even when the phone is asleep (screen blanked) for it to work like I have outlined. I use "Wifi Awake".
G1Bob

Postby N4Spd » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am

hmm... I'll have to look into this "wifi awake".

I didn't notice this on my phone at home but you may be on to something. Maybe the phone periodically turns on/off the network while the phone looks off and so my background process could listen for "network is up events" and then check for new messages. I'll put that on the todo list... thank you bob...

rob

ps. if you have a company with it's own mail servers, then setting up your employees to use a company email avoids using web 2.0 services that data mine your contacts/information, exposure to potential changes in data ownership/privacy terms at any time, and unwanted changes to usage/outages at inconvenient times. Email is a little old school but the protocol and it's server implementations are freely available for companies and individuals have access to free services.
N4Spd

Postby G1Bob » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:17 pm

You wrote a very useful application, Robert. I used to have a Nextel phone with push to talk and I had been missing that feature on the G1. I can think of a few things that would make it even more useful:

* a "wifi awake" sort of thing built in to the preferences.
* a preference setting to allow auto play of voice clips while the phone is sleeping.
* how about a setting to allow different ring tones for different contacts?
* I noticed that the canned sounds are in the mp3 file format. Now, I know this is another source of income for you, but I would pay a buck more if the application could just send one of my mp3 files or wav files that is on my sd card. Now I know there must be some regulation to that or people will just send their mp3 songs to each other, but you could just impose a 60 second limit or something for attaching mp3 files that way it would discourage the sending of complete songs.

I will continue to send you ideas if you are interested, but I guess keeping the application simple in appearance and in function is important too.

I noticed a possible bug.. it seems as though my preference settings were not remembered after rebooting my phone, but I will try to confirm and try it on my wife's phone too.

Bob
G1Bob

Postby N4Spd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions g1bob. I appreciate it.

As for the bug, I'll look into it. I turned on a new feature (copy protection) in the google market recently that caused all sorts of upgrade problems with the beta/free version. Other apps are also having problems, including preferences being ignored each time the app starts. The only solution so far has been to uninstall and the re-install. A bug as been submitted to Google. The paid version didn't run into this problem because it started with the new copy protection on and so no change.

ps. if you're having problems with the paid version then that's another story. shouldn't be happening there. let me know if you're on the paid version.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15
N4Spd

Postby G1Bob » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Robert,

Good news, I could not duplicate the problem. It remembered my preferences this time after I rebooted. My wife and I are using the paid version.

Thanks!
G1Bob

Return to Discussions