IP Cam Viewer     My Amazon IP Cameras    

recent market problems

User discussions, tips, questions and answers, etc. for the Walkie Talkie Application for Android cell phones and embedded devices available in the Android Market

recent market problems

Postby N4Spd » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:23 pm

Everyone has been having problems lately with upgrading from an older version to 0.4.2 (note that 0.4.4 has workarounds for this).

The problems were:

1. I added an error to the onPause() which gets called a lot (but was not seeing the error on my phone). Problem fixed in 0.4.3/4, my bad.

2. Google Market enabled a new feature which I turned on and this is whats causing most of the problems now. In you upgrade without uninstalling, then the webview crashes all the time and some other API calls crash all the time. This is affecting all app, free or paid, that changed this setting in the market. See my post below:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/f4868fd722ca2b58/4844b4ae09339f98?q=Failed+to+open+database+file+webview.db&lnk=nl&pli=1

This was not a problem on the paid version because it started new so no changes to settings.
Some people questioned whether I intentionally crashed the beta to push people to the paid version but this is not true. I started looking into the issue as soon as I got wind of problems.

And yes, the beta does change a lot but that's why it's free. If you're running this for a small business or on your own email server and want better reliability, then please consider supporting this app via the paid version.

thx rob
N4Spd

Re: recent market problems

Postby N4Spd » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:27 pm

ps. If you're having problems completing the download then it's the market's servers. I just upload to google and they distribute.

I've notice the situation where I can download an app on one phone and yet another phone next to me starts on the "downloading..." screen for like forever for the same app...

Please post if you find out more... thx rob
N4Spd

how to uninstall and install from market, and manual install

Postby N4Spd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 pm

To Un-Install:
    from the home screen
    click the menu button
    select settings
    select applications
    select manage applications
    find walkie talkie and select it
    then click uninstall.

To Install:
    launch Android Market
    search for "Walkie"
    click and install

The app may not be available in all markets and the market may have problems in some regions with some phones.

To manually install:
    you must UNINSTALL first (see instruction above)
    click on the following link from you G1 phone to install from my server (http://hit-mob.com/downloads/WalkieTalkie.beta.apk).
    WARNING: if you install manually, it will NOT update automatically. Also, you must uninstall before installing again from the market.
N4Spd

Return to Discussions