IP Cam Viewer     My Amazon IP Cameras    

tips on in-app motion detection

Support for my free Android Applications.

tips on in-app motion detection

Postby N4Spd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:29 am

When asking about motion detection, please keep in mind that there are 2 different offerings: 1) in-app motion detection for all cameras made available by my app and 2) in-camera motion detection available in some cameras.

This post talks about the in-app motion detection which my app provides. For in-camera motion detection, which some cameras offer, see each camera's native admin web interface to setup.

To enable in-app motion detection per camera:
- goto Edit Camera -> More Options
- there you'll find an option to only record when motion is detected (affects record mode)
- you'll find an option to play sound in viewers when motion is detected (affects viewers)

Motion detection algorithm is a learning algorithm, which means:

1. on initial startup (or after connection loss), it'll take ~1 minute to learn before it starts working.
2. over time, it will ignore areas with consistent motion.
3. over time, it will monitor areas with decreasing motion.

4. Orange text color will show when motion is first detected (but no alert sound will play yet, assuming sound is configured).
5. Alert sound will play (assuming sound configured) after repeated motion is detected (to minimize false positives, future mobile notifications will work same way).

6. In record mode, if you configure the per camera More Options to only record when motion is detected, then recording will happen immediately when motion is detected (regardless if alert sound is triggered). In addition, a 5-10 second period of pre-event frames are recorded as well. Post event recording continues for ~15 seconds (extended if more motion is detected).

7. System wide motion notification settings are in Record Settings. Per camera motion notification settings are in Edit Camera -> More Options.

8. to forward email to text message, see http://hit-mob.com/email2sms.html

finally, background audio mode will also play motion alert sound assuming the PER camera More Options screen has the option for viewer to play sound when motion is detected is enabled AND an alert sound is configured in App Settings.

rob
N4Spd

Re: tips on in-app motion detection

Postby fraschizzato » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:04 pm

That app is great!
There is a way to start IP cam viewer pro at Android boot and directly in record mode ON?
I've a little Android box that i would use as NVR, but it randomly reboots and then I have to always check if IPcamviewerPro is running...
fraschizzato

Postby N4Spd » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 pm

if app was in Record Mode, then it'll restart in Record Mode on next launch.

for auto start at phone boot, there are app launchers that will launch an app at startup
N4Spd

Postby N4Spd » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:44 pm

to get motion notification emails to trigger an SMS, see below:

For SMS, use carrier’s free Email to SMS gateway, like 4085551212@txt.att.net (see http://hit-mob.com/email2sms.html).
N4Spd

Postby vasilis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:18 am

Is it possible to enter in record mode with motion detection AND to set the app in the backround(menu button of the device)
AND STILL TRIGGER THE EMAIL? ?? I want to use my phone for other purposes too than have it exclusively as a dvr.
vasilis

Postby fraschizzato » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:24 am

I've configured up all cameras (about 15) in motion detection mode, app works great, but I've found that's not easy to search for recorded events... It can be usefull have a tab (or a separate app) with a list of occurred events with a link to the viewer.. (Something like this: 1. CameraName, date, time -->view)
I also think that can be usefull that the exporting video feature adds timestamp and camera name (during photo merging add a timestamp based on jpeg filename -date -time -camera)...
fraschizzato

Postby trevor » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am

The motion detection function is sweet ! I've set one camera up for motion detection to send an email alert to my Gmail account and save captured still images to my Google Drive account which should provide more than enough space for multiple triggers and won't cost a penny for things like SMS texts etc and is all cloud based so no chance Bobby Burglar can nobble the evidence ! Keep up the good work. ;)
trevor

motion detection in iphone 5

Postby ericksenior » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:03 am

my cam has a buildin micro sd card and the app is not working .
app works only when the programm stays open, also as soon as wifi or 3G connection cut off their is no motion detection.
conclusion app don't work for IOS.???
Do I have to pull out my sd Card ?
ericksenior

Postby admin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:42 pm

for Android, the app's built-in motion detection will run in the background.

for iOS, the app's built-in md only runs when app is in foreground.

in other words, Android supports background running but iOS currently does not.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Eagle3 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:23 am

I have a Samsung Note 4, Android 4.4.4. Motion detection alert sound plays when the app is in the foreground, but does not play when the app is in the background. Am I missing a setting or is this a bug?
Eagle3

Next

Return to Support