IP Cam Viewer     My Amazon IP Cameras    

Why does app work with 4G but not WiFi??

Information about my free Android Applications available in the Android Market for cell phones and embedded devices.

Why does app work with 4G but not WiFi??

Postby aviator24 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:27 pm

I have a Tenvis IP wifi camera and it works fine. I am able to use my laptop to view and control feed and recordings. I downloaded the App and paid for it for my Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon and at first it worked just fine. NOW, however, I must shut off my Wifi and goto 4G in order to see my camera feed. Every time I try to view the camera feed using Wifi it will not work?? I ran a Wifi speed test and my speeds are good, 21 Mps download and 4 Mps Upload. I do not understand why I can watch my camera on my cellphone only when my WIFI is turned off?? I am able to use my laptop to watch my camera with no trouble, just when I use my cellpone. Any Ideas?? Wifi is free, 4G is limited...
aviator24

Re: Why does app work with 4G but not WiFi??

Postby N4Spd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Most routers will recognize that a WAN IP (or a hostname) is actually your own and then redirect traffic back into the internal network.
This is called NAT LOOPBACK, and allows you to enter one address for access both from inside and outside your network.

1. reboot router (that function might have hung)
2. check router settings to ensure NAT LOOPBACK is enabled

3. if all fails, get new router, or create 2 sets of cameras and use the grouping function to switch between them.

Thanks,
Rob
N4Spd

Postby celler » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:54 pm

I am having a similar problem with cameras not being available when I am on the same wi-fi network as the cameras. I checked the nat loopback issue, but dd-wrt says its working properly if I can ping my external ip address which I can. I also tried adding a new camera to IP Cam Viewer using the internal ip address of the camera to see if that would work and cannot access it internally. It almost feels like ap isolation on the internal side, but I have not enabled anything like that and internal network shares are working fine. Everything works fine on external network. Any ideas? Thanks.
celler

Postby viperiii » Fri May 06, 2016 8:20 am

OP what firewall router do you have? Know its running DD-wrt

but is the url you're using for your CAMs?

IP / URL?

DD-WRT can also do some DNS - depending what your using for dns on your LAN.

can make cameras.home.com resolve internal IP when on LAN and WAN just just edit via normal cnames.

if using IP address - then something is afoot with dd-wrt config. - from phone can you see / open dd-wrt config? - ap isolation might be on..

What version of DD-WRT are you running and what hardware?
viperiii

Postby N4Spd » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Most routers will recognize that a WAN IP (or a hostname) is actually your own and then redirect traffic back into the internal network.
This is called NAT LOOPBACK, and allows you to enter one address for access both from inside and outside your network.

1. reboot router (that function might have hung)
2. check router settings to ensure NAT LOOPBACK is enabled (also try turning off NAT acceleration)

3. if all fails, get new router, or create 2 sets of cameras and use the grouping function to switch between them.
http://hit-mob.com/ip-cam-viewer-android/help/#23

I recommend routers with DD-WRT. Some Buffalo routers comes with DD-WRT installed (see below):
http://astore.amazon.com/andrapps-20

ps. here's a list of routers supporting nat loopback
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopb ... odem_Table
N4Spd

Postby Chef » Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 pm

aviator24 wrote:I have a Tenvis IP wifi camera and it works fine. I am able to use my laptop to view and control feed and recordings. I downloaded the App and paid for it for my Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon and at first it worked just fine. NOW, however, I must shut off my Wifi and goto 4G in order to see my videos gay feed. Every time I try to view the camera feed using Wifi it will not work?? I ran a Wifi speed test and my speeds are good, 21 Mps download and 4 Mps Upload. I do not understand why I can watch my camera on my cellphone only when my WIFI is turned off?? I am able to use my laptop to watch my camera with no trouble, just when I use my cellpone. Any Ideas?? Wifi is free, 4G is limited...

I also happen something similar, for now I use only the 4G
Chef

Postby mavedele » Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 am

aviator24 wrote:I have a Tenvis IP wifi camera and it works fine. I am able to use my laptop to view and control feed and recordings. I downloaded the App and paid for it for my Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon and at first it worked just fine. NOW, however, I must shut off my Wifi and goto 4G in order to see my camera feed. Every time I try to view the camera feed using Wifi it will not work?? I ran a Wifi speed test and my speeds are good, 21 Mps download and 4 Mps Upload. I do not understand why I can watch my camera on my cellphone only when my WIFI is turned off?? I am able to use my laptop to watch my camera with no trouble, just when I use my cellpone. Any Ideas?? Wifi is free, 4G is limited...

Hi
I have some very similar problem. My cameras are set on local network and remotely accessed via VPN (I have fixed IPs). IPcamviewer works fine with my iphone in 4G but more complicated when using a wifi network, at home or in an other place : sometime it works, sometime not, I need to connect/deconnect the VPN several times or closing/reopening ipcamviewer. Looks like something remains in the memory ...
it is NOT a problem with portforwarding (I don't need it ).
My router is actually an internet box (Freebox). May it be linked to the provider ? Any other idea ?
Thanks
mavedele

Return to Discussions