IP Cam Viewer     My Amazon IP Cameras    

Walkie talkie - Not available for everyone

User discussions, tips, questions and answers, etc. for the Walkie Talkie Application for Android cell phones and embedded devices available in the Android Market

Walkie talkie - Not available for everyone

Postby nijntje » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:52 am

Let me start by saying Walkie Talkie is a great app. I've tried the beta version with a friend of mine and, although the latency is a downer, it works very nice.

We would have loved to buy the full version. But here's the catch. Walkie Talkie is only available through the Android Market.
While the Android Market is a great system, it's not complete yet. The Android market still doesn't support paid apps in a lot of countries. And if it does, it's often quite limited in supported payment methods.

For example, the situation in the Netherlands (where I live).
Up untill quite recently, we wern't able to buy paid apps. Only the free ones were available to us. Luckely, this has changed. But there's still a problem.
The Android Market uses Google Checkout. And Google Checkout is based on the American market. Now, as you will probably know, Americans love credit cards (and cheques). So, Google Checkout only accepts just that, credit cards.

This, however, isn't the same all over the world. In the Netherlands, we hate Creditcards (and cheques). It's far to easy to commit fraud with them, and quite frankly, they're far too expensive. Instead, we've got our own system. Whether having our own system in this time and day is such a good idea is debatable. But it was a very good idea 20 / 30 years ago. Guess we're stuck with it now. And it does save a lot of costs where it comes to fraude prevention and transaction costs. Anyway, credit cards are barely used in the Netherlands.

So, to conclude this far too long story, most people from the Netherlands, including myself and my friends, arn't able to buy the full version of Walkie Talkie. One can imagine the same goes for a lot of ppl all over the world. Previously, the beta version was quite workable while we waited for a solution for this problem, but recently it stopped working. (time limit, 1st of june).

I hope you could solve this problem for us, as we'd really like to keep on using Walkie Talkie. Ofcourse I can't ask you to start accepting payments from every system all over the world directly. Luckely, PayPal is doing a great job at that. Little known to Americans, PayPal accepts a lot of national payment systems including ours. So if you could, somehow, accept PayPal payments, I would immediately buy this app 4 times for me and my friends.
nijntje

Re: Walkie talkie - Not available for everyone

Postby N4Spd » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Thank you so much for writing.

There is a "Walkie Talkie Lite" version which is free and SHOULD be available in the Netherlands. I don't know why it's not visible to some people but I've checked the settings in the Google Market.

As for paypal payment, that is a problem because the terms of selling on the Android Market precludes selling the same product using another channel. That's what I understand from the Google Market agreement for sellers.

A temporary workaround is to manually install the Lite version from this site:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22#p39

Hopefully Google will fix the situation where the Lite version is not available on the Market for your area.

Countries enabled in the Market:

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Germany
Greece
Hong Kong
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Singapore
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom
N4Spd

Postby nijntje » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Thank you for your quick response.

My friends and I have indeed been using the lite version. (v0.5.3). However, it stopped working recently. (Beginning of June).

It now opens the help screen (title: "Walkie Talkie - Help (v0.5.3)") and pops up a warning saying "This beta version has expired, please download a new version in the Market".

I have uninstalled the version I was previously using and downloaded the version you linked in this topic, but unfortunately this did not fix the problem.
nijntje

Postby N4Spd » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:53 pm

Ouch. Sorry about that. I uploaded a newer version but the server did not overwrite the old file.

Please give it another try.

thanks,
rob
N4Spd

Return to Discussions